Just a quick tidbit about naming the apps, lists, libraries, etc. that you create in your SharePoint site.
As it did in 2010, SharePoint 2013 adds the ‘%20’ string to your URL if you put a space in your list name. For example, if you create a list called “My Cool List”, the URL will end up looking like:
It’s not a terrible thing, but it can be irritating in some scenarios.
The easy way to get around this is to follow a best practice of naming without spaces. You can then change the list name after the fact without the URL changing.
- Create the list, when asked for the list name, use no spaces: “MyCoolList”
- The list will be created and the URL will be nice and neat: /Lists/MyCoolList/viewname.aspx
- The list title will show up as “MyCoolList” – again, not a horrible thing in itself, but not great UX either.
- Go to List Settings
- Use the List name, description and navigation link to change the name to a more readable “My Cool List”
- The URL will remain the same, but the readable list title is now more user friendly.